But anywho they have a mac and cheese that is to die for. The secret. They don't bake it, leaving the cheese extra creamy and gooey and delicious. Once Stan and I moved away he was having dreams about this macaroni and cheese so me being the great GF I am, I decided to make it. I had nothing to go on other than the description on their menu. And if I do say so myself (Stan also agrees) I killed it. In a good way. It may be better than the original but I don't want to sound like I'm bragging.
Also on a different but related note. How amazing is boiled chicken? It's so simple and creates chicken that is super easy to pull (our favorite). Here's how to boil chicken. You'll need a big pot with a lid. Place raw chicken in pan, add enough cold water to cover the chicken. Cover the pot and set stove to medium high heat. When water begins to bubble turn heat down and let chicken simmer until done, about 8-10 minutes. Check chicken after 8 minutes; if pink return to water, if white then its done. Allow to cool slightly and then pull apart. Pulled chicken can be used in a variety of meals and ways. Okay now on to the macaroni and cheese.
Warning: This Mac & Cheese isn't for the faint of heart. It's hardcore mac & cheese. Nothing light or diet about it. Full flavor is how I like to describe it. Also when I make recipes from scratch I rarely measure anything. So to appease all of you the last time I made it I attempted to measure. If you think something is missing... add it. I won't be offended.
Chicken Mac & Cheese
serves 8
4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups milk
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
3/4 cup Parmesan, freshly shredded
1/2 cup Gorgonzola, crumbled
1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 lb. box Cavatappi noodles
1 lb. chicken breasts
Boil chicken (see above).
Boil 1/2 box of noodles, as directed.
After or while these are boiling, depending on how many pots you have, melt butter add ground mustard, paprika, and garlic powder. Add flour and stir until mixture thickens.
Whisk in the milk and cook, continuing to whisk until the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Turn heat to low and stir in the cheddar, Parmesan, Gorgonzola, and feta. Continue stirring until smooth. Add chicken and pasta and season with salt and pepper to taste.
No comments:
Post a Comment