6.18.2011
Bourbon Glazed Salmon
Bourbon scares me. I don't know what it is about it that turns me off. Scratch that... Now that I think about it, it's the smell. So when I found this recipe I was a little apprehensive until I read that it was delicious coming from someone else, like myself, who isn't a fan of bourbon. Plus I love salmon. It's so simple to make at home. It takes no time at all and is healthy.
I made this meal with my aunt. The first thing she said was, "Wow. I can taste the difference between wild and farmed salmon." And it's so true. Buying wild salmon is definitely worth the money. Trust me.
I prefer smaller thicker salmon steaks as opposed to larger thinner ones. They can sometimes be a little trickier to cook but it's still super simple. This recipe calls for cooking the salmon with the broiler of your oven, something I had never done. So I was a little reserved and placed the pan about a 1/3 of the way down in the oven. This resulted in my salmon not getting as crispy as I believe it was "supposed" to be but none the less it was delicious. Next time I broil it I will definitely be putting it closer to the broiler.
You end up with quite a bit of glaze in this recipe. How Sweet It Is recommends using it on chicken or shrimp and I think it's a great idea too.
Bourbon Glazed Salmon
(adapted from How Sweet It Is)
1 lb. fresh salmon
1 tbsp. coarse sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3/4 cup bourbon
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
Combine the bourbon, brown sugar, ground mustard, garlic, honey, vinegar, and Worcestershire is a small saucepan and whisk until well combined. Heat over medium high heat and allow to come to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let simmer for 10 minutes, or until glaze reduces by about half. Pour glaze in a bowl and let sit at room temperature while you cook the salmon. The glaze thickens slightly during this time.
Preheat the broiler in you oven. Make sure salmon is dry and season with the salt and pepper on both sides, or one side if your salmon has the skin on it still. Place salmon on a non-stick baking sheet, just to be safe you can always cover your baking sheet with foil. Broil for about 5-6 minutes on each side, until the top develops a crispy crust. I kept my salmon with the skin down and cooked it for about 7 minutes. If your salmon is on the thicker side you'll most likely have to cook it for a few minutes longer.
Remove the salmon from the oven and brush with glaze. Glaze can also be used as a dipping sauce. Store extra glaze in fridge for a week or two, bring to room temperature before using.
I served the salmon with couscous and steamed broccoli both sprinkled with grated Parmesan. Delicious!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment