Does anyone else have a weakness for soup? Or is it just me? I love soup. I love soup so much that rather than making a million different kinds of homemade soup (something I'm going to try to start doing) I just go to the grocery store, stand in the soup isle and stare at the plethora of soup options presented to me. Then I leave with about 8 different kinds of soup. And once I get home I shuffle around my stockpile of soups and arrange them in order of must try immediately if not sooner to good old standbys. And then over the next few days in a row I eat soup. Lots and lots of soup. Then after my stockpile has been depleted... I repeat this entire process again. And again. I live an exciting life, wouldn't you say?
Does anyone else have a weakness for baked potatoes? Or is it just me? I loved baked potatoes. I love baked potatoes so much that I put them in soup!
It's literally a loaded baked potato in soup form. Best. Lunch. Decision. Ever.
On a slightly related note, I sometimes forget to take pictures while I'm making my yummy food. And I don't realize it until I'm about to post a recipe and (like this post) I only have 1 or 2 pictures of the finished product to show you. Whoops.
On another slightly related note, I'm asking for a brand new shiny fancy camera for Christmas from Santa Claus so I'm hoping to start posting better quality photos by the new year! Hip-Hip-Hooray!
And finally on the last slightly related note. It is finally November and I can finally start to play Christmas music without feeling guilty about not paying enough attention to all the other holidays. Plus..... Justin Bieber's Holiday album is out! I'm downloading it as we speak. Expect a full review within a few weeks. That way I have plenty of time to thoroughly annoy the crap out of Stan while I listen to it non-stop in the name of "blog research." Gosh I love blogging and the excuses it gives me!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
(Recipe adapted from Full Circle Foodie)
Note: The halved the original recipe
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
3 1/2 cups whole milk
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4" cubes
4 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 green onions, sliced
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (4 ounces) sour cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, whisk until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly, until sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Add potatoes and onions. Continue to cook, again whisking constantly, until soup begins to bubble. Lower heat to low and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Add cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and cayenne; stir until cheese has melted.
Top with extra cheese, bacon, and green onion for garnish. Serve immediately.
No comments:
Post a Comment