11.21.2011

Crispy Southwest Chicken Burritos


How was your Thanksgiving? Ours was great! Went to Stan's parent's house and I chefed up an entire Thanksgiving dinner for 8 1/2 (the half being Stan's little cousin). Everything went quite well, then when everyone showed up the last 30 minutes were a mad dash. And naturally... I forgot all about pictures. I do have leftovers though, so maybe (if you're lucky) I'll post some of my special recipes!

Alright now that that is out of the way, onto the Crispy Southwest Chicken Burritos. As usual I'm bucking the trend of all the other food blogs and not filling my posts with crazy Thanksgiving and Christmas recipes. This is mainly because I have such a GYNORMOUS back long of recipes to share with you. So in reality it's not my fault. Have I ever mentioned that I love to pass fault to everyone but myself? Well now you know. I never do anything wrong. Ha! I wish.

I made these yummy little crispy burritos for lunch one day and they were so good I had them for the rest of the week. They lend themselves really well to customizing, so play around with what you put inside them. Like maybe a cheesy ground beef version, with tons of queso of course.

Also a great thing about these... They're just like Taco Bell. You know how I love my homemade takeout!

Crispy Southwest Chicken Burritos
(Original recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe)


1 cup cooked rice, warm
1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 green onion, sliced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
2 cups shredded cheese (I recommend sharp cheddar, but monterey jack or pepper jack would be great too) 
Sour cream
6 burrito-sized flour tortillas

Preheat griddle sides of a panini press, or a large skillet, to medium-high. Mix rice with chili powder, cumin, and garlic salt. Lay out one tortilla. Layer with cheese, rice, and beans.


Sprinkle shredded chicken over tortilla. Follow with peppers and cilantro. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add a dollop of sour cream and hot sauce. Roll up the best you can, ensuring they are as sealed as possible.



Grill for about 5 minutes if using a press or about 2-3 minutes each side if using a pan, start with seem side down if grilling in pan. Slice if desired and serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment