Have you ever noticed how regional food is? Since I've moved to Wisconsin I've noticed quite a few things that are different from where I grew up. For the last few months I've been working at a little Bistro close to where Stan and I live, and people will ask me for certain things and I give them a look like they're crazy and say, "Um... I don't know what that is. I'm not from here." Here are my favorite examples...
Getting a beer backer with a Bloody Mary. This first time I dropped off a table's drinks they asked for they're beer backers. I looked at them like they were crazy and said, "What are those?" Then we got into a five minute conversation about how this is "such a Wisconsin thing" (their words, not mine).
Kiddie Cocktails. One of my tables asked for two kiddie cocktails. And once again I looked at them like they were crazy and said, "I don't think we have those. I'll go check." I then proceeded to go ask the bartender what they were and he laughed out loud at me saying, "This is Wisconsin, we have to include a cocktail with everything." I learned that they are simply kids sized Shirley Temples. Where I'm from all we call them are Shirley Temples, no questions.
Horsey Sauce. After delivering the food to a table, I asked if there was anything else I could get for them. A man responded, "Yeah, how about some Horsey Sauce?" I looked at him and laughed. He wasn't pleased with my response. I said, "Oh you're serious. I'm sorry I'm not from here so some of the nicknames you guys have in Wisconsin are lost on me." Then he proceeded to laugh at me and explain it's horseradish. I responded with, "Goodness gracious, why didn't you just ask for that in the first place."
And my personal favorite... American Fries. I think this one was my favorite because I honestly thought she was making a joke. A table of cute little old ladies sat down and began to order. I asked one of the ladies if she would like chips or fries. She responded with, "Can I get American fries?" The first thing that came to my mind was that ridiculous period where restaurants were calling their fires Freedom Fried or American Fires to replace French Fries. So I just laughed and said, "No we didn't change the name like everyone else, we still have French Fries." She just blankly stared at me and I at her. Then I went to the kitchen to put their order in and repeated what just happened to me. The kitchen erupted in laughter. Then they explained to me that they were basically hash browns. Well then I felt like an idiot because I knew that my laughter at the expense of the adorable older woman was unjustified so I sulked back to the table and explained that I'm not from around here so I had never heard of American Fries before and I didn't mean to laugh at her I just thought she was making a joke. But as usual, the joke was on me.
Well now that all of that is out of the way, which by the way has absolutely nothing to do with the recipe I'm about to share... Here is the reason you're here.
Do you ever get food cravings that don't go away? Even after you're given in and eaten what you were craving? I have this problem with Chinese food. No matter how full I am... of anything... I am almost in a constant state of craving Chinese food. Sad I know. I can't be the only one out there, right? Right?
For the next installment of Homemade Takeout I give you General Tso's Chicken.
General Tso's Chicken
(Recipe Adapted from Foodie With Family)
For the Chicken:
1 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 large egg white
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I used chicken breasts because that's what I had and it turned out great)
oil for frying, peanut or vegetable
For the Sauce:
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger root
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. Chinese Chile-garlic sauce
3 Tbsp. raw sugar
For Serving:
Fresh green onions, sliced
Fresh steamed broccoli (I didn't use this because, but I'd recommend it to add another dynamic to the dish)
Fresh, hot cooked white rice
In a mixing bowl, stir together sesame oil, soy sauce, egg white, and cornstarch until a think gummy but smooth slurry forms. Add chicken pieces and stir until evenly coated. It may appear that it will not come together, but keep stirring and it will. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meantime begin the sauce. Add the tablespoon of oil to a large saucepan over high heat. Stir in the garlic and ginger into the oil and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, or about 1 minute. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the remaining sauce ingredients until smooth. Pour into garlic and ginger, until think and shiny. Keep sauce on burner on low, cover to keep warm.
Heat 1/2-inch of oil in a high-sided frying pan or skillet over high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add once piece of chicken at a time, being careful not to crowd the pan.
Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, or until chicken in a deep golden brown on both sides.
Transfer cooked chicken to paper towel lined plate and repeat process until you've cooked all your chicken. Place prepared chicken into sauce and toss to coat.
Serve immediately over rice and broccoli. Garnish with green onions.
No comments:
Post a Comment