7.05.2011

Chicken Spinach Alfredo Lasagna



I crave Alfredo sauce on a regular basis. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Right? I'm also regularly on the look out for new recipes that involve Alfredo... I mean who isn't? Feel free to share them with me! Or any and all of your recipes for that matter. I'd love it!
As I've said before, I'm all about food being pretty. This may not be the prettiest dinner ever but it sure does taste great! It is a little labor intensive but totally worth it. Trust me! I made this at my parent's house and was nervous about my little brother eating the spinach... On a side note, do little brothers ever like vegetables??? In my experience the answer is no. Weird. Anyways back to the recipe. My brother just picked right through the spinach and had NO idea he was eating mushrooms and onions and still enjoyed the lasagna so I say this recipe is veggie hater approved... In the aspect that you can tell them to pick out the spinach and it can be our little secret about the mushrooms and onions! It's what they get for being so darn picky!

This recipe could also easily be made into a vegetarian dish by simply omitting the chicken. I'd probably add more mushrooms and slice them rather than dice them. Any other veggies you think appropriate can also easily be added, maybe artichoke hearts, and red bell pepper?

Chicken Spinach Alfredo Lasagna
(Original Recipe from All Recipes)


1 8 oz. package lasagna noodles
3 cups heavy cream (I used 1 1/2 cups half & half and 1 1/2 cups skim milk)
2 10.75 oz. cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
5 mushrooms, diced
1 roasted chicken, shredded (As usual I used boiled chicken. See Mac & Cheese)
Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a roiling boil. Cook lasagna noodle according to package, or 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.

In a saucepan over low heat, mix together heavy cream, cream of mushroom soup, Parmesan cheese, and butter. Simmer, stirring frequently, until well blended.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion in the oil until tender, then add garlic and mushrooms. Mix in the chicken, and cook until chicken is warmed. Season with salt and pepper.

Lightly coat the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with enough of the cream sauce to coat. Layer with 1/3 of the cooked lasagna noodles, 1/2 cup ricotta, 1/2 of the spinach, 1/2 of the chicken mixture, and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with 1/3 of the cream sauce, and repeat the layers. Place the remaining noodles on top, and spread with remaining sauce.



Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or brown and bubbly. Top with the remaining mozzarella, and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. I actually topped my lasagna with the cheese before I put it in the oven so I covered it with foil and baked for 50 minutes then took off the foil and baked for another 10 minutes then turned the oven to broil and cooked until brown and bubbly.



My tummy just growled in remembrance of how good this was. 
I will be making it again soon. Real soon!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous25.9.11

    This was SOO freaking awesome!!

    ReplyDelete