Okay so out here in the Midwest... there is a variation of the classic cheeseburger they like to call the Juicy Lucy. Until a few months ago I had never heard of a juicy Lucy but that all changed with a simple 30 minutes spent watching the Food Network channel. Okay so maybe it was more than 30 minutes. If you guessed 2 hours, you're right! Good for you! I have a tendency to get lost in front of cooking shows on TV. Food Network is the best. I'm also a sucker for all the reality cooking shows out there. They are just so darn entertaining... Stan gives me crap about this on a regular basis. He'll walk into the room and ask, "Whatcha doing?" And probably 50% of the time I'm watching some crappy reality cooking show. For those of you interested the other 50% of the time I'm watching crappy crime dramas... They are also just SO good! Don't judge me. Anyhoo back to the juicy Lucy.
I decided I wanted to make my own juicy lucys so the other night I busted out the never fail griddler and went to work. One of Stan's friends from high school has been staying with us and I'm mid burger stuff when he walks in and says, "Oh you're making a juicy lucy huh? Wait, you're from out West... So you're making a stuffed burger." I died laughing. I know what you're thinking. Sharon? That isn't funny. But in the moment and his deep Wisconsin accent it was hilarious. You just had to be there.
The original Juicy Lucys (there is some dispute over where the lucy originated so that's why I say lucys) use American cheese and are cooked in bars so they are much juicy-read-fattier. My version is so simple and easier on the waistline. I drive through Minneapolis enough that one of these times I'm gong to make Stan stop and take me to have my first authentic Juicy Lucy. Yeah I know... I aim high on date nights. Meh, I'm easy to please.
The Juicy Lucy
serves 4
1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck
4 hamburger buns
cheddar
your favorite seasoning salt & ground pepper
your favorite burger fixin's
Equip your griddler with the two grill plates and turn on to sear.
Divide your meat into four sections. Cut those four equal sections in half, so you have 8 squares of meat. Season your meat with your favorite seasoning salt and pepper.
Make 4 patties the size you want your burgers to be. Cut up your cheese and break into thirds and place them in the middle of each patty.
Make four more patties and place each on top of a cheese covered patty. Gently seal the edges shut and pat the burgers into a more complete burger patty shape.
Once your grill is ready place 2 patties on the grill. Cover. Cook for 5-8 minutes, depending on how you like your burger cooked. After time is finished, take burgers off of grill and let rest for 1-2 minutes. Place on bun and cover with your favorite burger fixings.
I'm realizing now that I didn't take a picture of the burger cut in half so you could see the cheese oozing out... But that's because they were too darn good to stop eating. Oh well I'm sure you can use your imagination.
No comments:
Post a Comment