8.22.2011

BBQ Fish Packets


As I've already shared, Stan and I were just on vacation. We went to my family cabin on Flathead Lake. It's heaven on earth there... for those of you who have never heard of it. Google it. Now. No joke. Then book your next vacation there as soon as possible. I'm serious. I've been there every summer for as long as I can remember while this was Stan's first time. We had such a good time we've decided to have our wedding up there. CANNOT WAIT!

We were at my cabin for a week. We went on bike rides (when I say bike I mean motorcycle) all around the lake, went to Glacier National Park, went sailing, boating, wake-boarding, sunning, and fishing. Stan and I both love to fish. So naturally we went out a few times. The first time our anchor went in a crevice and before you knew it we were stuck. Yeah I know right?! Only to use. But don't you worry it gets better! The second time we were much more successful. I caught an 18-inch Rainbow Trout and Stan caught 2 21-inch Lake Trout. And me being the home cook extraordinaire that I am, well that I like to think I am, I decided to chef them up that night. More about that later... The next day we decided to go again and hoped for a repeat of the previous day. Well we definitely had a repeat of a previous day. Just not the one we were hoping for. We lost our brand new shiny anchor in the exact same spot we had the first time. I did catch a 15-inch Rainbow Trout again but we practiced catch and release that time. So for those of you keeping track... that is now 2 anchors we lost. Meh. All great fishermen have stories and now that includes us!

Now back to the food!

I was a little nervous about cooking our freshly caught fish as the last time I'd had lake trout it had a fishy taste. I was determined to not let that happen this time... And oh man was I successful!

BBQ Fish Packets


2 large fish (we had 3 trout, but I'm sure this would work for anything else you wanted to try)
4 lemons
1 jalapeno
1 red bell pepper
poultry seasoning
salt and pepper
1 stick butter
Olive Oil

Clean and de-bone your fish. Leave skin on.

Turn grill to medium to medium high.

Tear a piece of aluminum foil that is at least twice as large as each fish. Drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil on the foil, spread around so that it is larger than your fish. Place fish, skin side down, on top of the olive oil. Sprinkle generously with poultry seasoning and salt and pepper. Slice lemons and put on top of seasoned fish. De-seed the jalapeno and bell pepper. Slice and sprinkle over fish. Cut butter in tablespoon sized chucks and place on top of fish as well.

I took this picture before I'd put the jalapeno on, but don't forget it.
 It really is a vital part of the great taste you'll be getting.

Make a packet out of the foil. I didn't want the butter and juices to leak out so I double-dutied the foil with two layers. Let sit for 10-20 minutes while your grill warms up to allow seasoning to soak in a little.

Place your fish 4 to 6 inches above the medium heat flames. Grill on one side for 10 minutes. Flip only once, and grill the other side for another 10 minutes. Remove from grill and let sit for 5 minutes. Unwrap. 


Fish should be moist and flakey and peel right of the skin. I served our with rice and a green salad. It was honestly some of the best fish I've ever eaten! My grandma... who doesn't like fish... said it was the best of her life. I can't wait to try this with different types of fish!


So good this was all that was left. 
Stan even spoiled Buster and shared some with him. Lucky dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment