Let me tell ya... I do a lot of pain staking research for this blog. I spend a good chunk of time each week browsing the blogosphere for yummy recipes to share with you. And myself. Through all this research I've discovered a few things. And the one I'm going to share with you now is...
The weirder the ingredients the more likely I am to look at the recipe. Case in point. This pie recipe.
Prior to this pie recipe I had never seen apple and tapioca in a berry pie. These are included in the filling to keep it from being runny and ooze all over your plate. But the kicker ingredient is in the crust. Are you ready for it. Vodka. Adding vodka to the crust ensures it will be flaky and tender.
The pie crust was definitely flaky and tender. But because I'm impatient I didn't use chilled shortening... Big mistake folks. The crust was the softest crust I've ever had to deal with. Meaning it was a pain in the butt and nearly impossible to achieve a pretty pie. It was probably not my most beautiful creation ever but it sure did taste good.
Triple Berry Pie
(Original Recipe from Sweet Pea's Kitchen)
Crust:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening (butter flavor), cut into 4 pieces
1/4 cup vodka, cold
1/4 cup water, cold
1 large egg (lightly beaten) + 1 tsp. water
Berry Filling:
2 cups fresh raspberries
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 cups fresh blackberries
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. quick cooking tapioca, ground
Pinch salt
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
Pie Dough: In the bowl of a food processor, process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar until combined. Add butter and shortening and process for about 15 seconds or just until dough starts to collect in uneven clumps (dough should look like cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl of processor to redistribute dough evenly. Add remaining flour and pulse 4 to 6 times or until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and dough has been broken up. Transfer dough into medium bowl. Sprinkle vodka and water over dough. Using a rubber spatula and folding motion press down on dough until it is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into 2 balls and flatten into 4 inch disks. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes (up to 2 days).
Remove 1 disk of dough from fridge and roll out on lightly floured surface into 12 inch circle. Roll dough loosely around rolling pin and unroll into pie plate (leaving a 1 inch overhang on each side). Lightly press dough into pie plate; refrigerate while preparing berry filling or 30 minutes.
Roll out the second piece of pie dough into another 12 inch circle. With a pastry wheel (or pizza cutter or knife), cut dough into 12 stripes, each about 3/4 inch wide. Place 6 strips horizontally across the top of the pie every 1 inch. Weave in the remaining 6 strips. Fold dough under itself so that edge is flush to outside rim of pie plate. Flute edges or use fork to seal pie crusts together. Brush top and edges of pie with egg mixture. If dough is soft, chill for 10 minutes in freezer.
(Yeah Yeah I didn't follow the directions....
Do as I say not as I do!)
Place pie on heated baking sheet and bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees F. Reduce oven temperature to 350 and continue to bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until juices bubble and crust is golden brown. Transfer pie to wire rack; cool to room temperature (at least 4 hours-this is the hardest part! But crucial! Don't skimp on cooling time). Cut into wedges and serve with Tillamook Vanilla Bean and Blackberry Ice Cream!
No comments:
Post a Comment