9.06.2011

Lemon Chiffon Cake


I have this thing about lemon flavored baked goods... I can't stop eating them. Lemon bars, all mine. Lemon cookies, not sharing. Lemon pound cake, yeah I may have eaten the whole pan. Lemon poppy seed muffins, nothing left but the crumbs. When I saw this recipe I almost died. Mainly because when I think of chiffon cake I think of a 1950s housewife and I couldn't stop myself from imaging me in a cute little apron, big puffy dress, cardigan, and a string of pearls but also because it was lemon. HELLO. PERFECT!

Everything about this cake is perfection. The lemon curd, cake, and buttercream each have their own distinct lemon flavor but the blend of the three is like heaven in my mouth! Make this immediately if not sooner. Seriously!

Lemon Chiffon Cake
(Original Recipe from Apron of Grace)


2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup oil
7 egg yolks
3/4 cup cold water
1 tsp. lemon zest
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
7 egg whites, beaten stiff
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Directions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the center and add oil, egg yolks, water, zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. In a different bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Add beaten eggs to cake batter in threes, folding gently but thoroughly between (this is vital to creating a perfect chiffon cake!!!). Bake in 2 greased and well floured 8 inch round pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes before flipping cakes out of pan to allow to finish cooling.


Lemon Curd Filling


6 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs

Directions: Place lemon juice, butter, and sugar in double boiler and heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until thoroughly whipped. Slowly add eggs to double boiler, stirring constantly until all of the eggs are added. Continue cooking and stirring for about 20 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.


Lemon Buttercream Frosting


2 cups butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. lemon flavoring
1/3 cup cold water (+ more if needed)
2 lbs. powdered sugar, sifted

Directions: In a medium bowl, add butter and whip until light, fluffy, and creamy (3 minutes). Add liquids and blend. Slowly add powdered sugar while mixing. Whip for several minutes, you want a fluffy and spreadable consistency (you may need to add more water at this point).


Cake Assembly


Cool cakes entirely and torte using a bread knife, you're going to want 4 layers. Place first layer on cake stand and spread 1/3 of the lemon curd on top, repeat process until all the curd and cake layers are used up (make sure to NOT put lemon curd on top layer).

Place a few magazines or other light objects on top, to set the layers, for about 10 minutes.

Frost cake starting from the top and working your way down the sides.


Yeah, it is good. Take my word for it... or the fact that I ate way all but 2 pieces. 

1 comment:

  1. This recipe rocks! I made it as a trial and am making it this weekend for my little girl's first birthday party! Lemon chiffon was my grandma's speciality and though I never got her recipe, she recently passed, I think this may have her beat! Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete