9.18.2011

Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Salmon



Before I get into this recipe I have to make a promise. Today I tried a new recipe for Snickerdoodles. Big mistake... It was horrible. They were dry and had no real flavor. Later after re-looking at the recipe and reading the comments (which were all similar to my complaints) the author of the recipe tried to play it off like all of us that had made her cookies were at fault, not her recipe. She must not have tried her recipe because there was no saving it. I couldn't help but think, "Why even post it?" So here is my promise, I promise to always try my recipes prior to posting them making changes so you don't have to and to also always post delicious recipes. Okay moving on...

I love garlic. Like I love, love it. Whenever I'm using it I double the original amount. I buy and eat a whole box of garlic Triscuits every other month. At any given time I probably have at least 4 different variations of garlic in my kitchen. I realize that there are people out there that don't love garlic like I do, but for the life of me I just don't understand why. When I saw this recipe on Tasty Kitchen I immediately changed my dinner plans so I could make this. So I wandered on over to my local People's Co-Op Market  (it has the freshest fish in town, well that I've found so far) and ordered 2 fillets of fresh Wild Atlantic Salmon. Another side note real quick, when going to buy fresh salmon I cannot stress how important it is for you to buy wild as opposed to farmed. First of all there is a huge taste difference (at least to me) and second health officials have listed farmed salmon as one of the scariest things to eat. Just avoid it if possible. Wild Salmon can be on the pricey side but it is worth it in more ways than one.

I served this salmon fresh asparagus that I boiled in chicken broth... which is now my new favorite way to cook asparagus. So tender and delicious! I also served it with a creamy rice pilaf. Make your normal rice pilaf and right before serving, remove from heat and stir in 4-6 ounces of cream cheese. The creaminess adds a different flavor dimension to traditional rice, it's a nice change of pace.

Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Salmon


3 cloves garlic
2 sprigs rosemary, chopped in be about 1 Tbsp.
2 fillets (right over 1 pound) Wild Salmon -original recipe calls for 2 lbs. of salmon, or about 4 fillets
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 pinches kosher salt
1 pinch ground pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Peel and chop garlic, set aside. Chop rosemary, set aside. Place salmon on foil covered baking sheet. Spread olive oil on salmon, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the rosemary and garlic and lightly press into the salmon.

Place baking sheet in oven for 10 minutes (if your fillets are on the thin side) to 15 minutes (if your fillets are on the thick side) or until the salmon is tender and flaky. Serve and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment