12.25.2011

Shrimp & Penne Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce




T'was the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there...

Merry Christmas everyone! Santa has been extra nice to me this year... I am one lucky girl. More to come on that in the next few posts.

On to the recipe...
I made this recipe a few weeks back when Stan had to go out of town for the weekend. Is it just me or does everyone get a little excited about a night at home without their significant other. Don't get me wrong I missed him the moment he walked out the door but the idea of being able to make whatever I want for dinner that night and watch as much trashy television as I can handle helped softened the fact that I only got to cuddle with Buster that night. I found this recipe months ago and had been chomping at the bits to try it out, but whenever I'd suggest it to Stan he'd say, "Um... maybe another night?" so when he left Friday night I instantly knew I'd be making this for dinner.

And man oh man was I ever glad I finally got to try it... DELICIOUS! I'm pretty sure I ate half the pan the first night I was home alone. And finished the entire pan by dinner the next day. I can honestly say that it is my favorite shrimp and pasta dish ever. It isn't a complex dish and the flavors are pretty simple but it just hits the spot.

The original name for this pasta is Penne a la Punk-Ass Betsy, since I don't know anyone named Betsy I changed it. It's not where near as cool of a name but... alas we can't always have it all.

Shrimp & Penne Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce
a.k.a Penne a la Punk-Ass Betsy
(Original Recipe from The Pioneer Woman)

3/4 lbs. Penne Pasta
1 lb. shrimp
3 Tbsp. Butter
3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Shallot, diced
3 cloves Garlic, diced
1/2 cup White Wine (I used a Riesling) 
1 can Tomato Sauce (8 oz)
1 cup Heavy Cream
Fresh Parsley
Fresh Basil
Salt & Pepper

Cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente.

Meanwhile peel, devein, and rinse (under cool water) 1 pound of extra large shrimp. Heat 1 tablespoon of both the butter and olive oil in a large skillet. Add shrimp and cook for a few minutes, or just until opaque.

DO NOT OVERCOOK THE SHRIMP!
Remove skillet from heat and let cool for just a few moments. Once slightly cooled, pull off tails and chop into bite sized pieces. Set aside.

Finely dice a medium sized shallot. Mince 3 cloves of garlic. In a large skillet heat the remaining butter and olive oil. Add garlic and shallot and saute, stirring occasionally. Once they have cooked for a few minutes add wine. Let wine evaporate for a few minutes and stir occasionally. 

Add 8-ounce can of tomato sauce. Stir until well combined. Add 1 cup of heavy cream. Stir again until combined. Turn heat to low and allow to simmer.

Chop herbs (I used dried herbs because I made this meal at midnight and forgot to get fresh herbs but using dried was still delicious) until you have about 1 Tablespoon of each. Add chopped shrimp into cream sauce. 


Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add herbs and stir. Finally add pasta and stir until combined. 



No comments:

Post a Comment