12.04.2011

Soft Pretzel Bites



I have a problem. Whenever I'm anywhere near the smell of soft pretzels I almost immediately give in and stuff my face mouth with the butteriest sucker I can get my hands on. One time Stan and I were in the Las Vegas airport heading home (worse for the wear I might add) and as we were going up the escalator to the terminals when I was gibber-jabbering on about something most likely pointless (as I usually do) and all of the sudden I stopped mid-sentence and said, "PRETZELSSSSSS!" Then proceeded to not say another word until Stan bought me a pretzel so I could stuff my face mouth. Don't be fooled, Stan also stuffed his face. Ever since that day whenever Stan and I are in a shopping mall, airport, etc. Stan can't help but ask me if I want a pretzel. What a sweetie.

The idea of making soft pretzels at home always seemed daunting to me. I think it was the shape, silly I know. When I saw this recipe I knew it would only be a matter of time until I made them. Boy am I sure glad I finally took the plunge and made them. Well worth it.

I made mine way too large to technically call them bites, I got lazy and only wanted to cook one pan so I made extra large bites. So if you're willing to cook more than one pan of these yours will definitely be the perfect bite size. Also since Stan and I were less concerned about the looks of these you could most likely put more effort into shaping them then I did. But whatever fits your fancy works, and extra large circle shaped pretzel bites were perfect for us.

Last little note... I still don't have a stand mixer (hint hint to whoever is reading this) so I just mixed and kneaded the old fashioned way, with my hands. My dough definitely wasn't smooth like I imagine it would be if I had used a mixer but it in no way effected the taste of them.

Pretzel Bites
(Original Recipe from Sunny Side Up in San Diego)


4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

1/2 cup baking soda
4 cups hot water
2 egg whites
2 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
Kosher salt

In a measuring cup, dissolve the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in the warm water. Set aside (mixture should become foamy, if it doesn't toss it out and try again).

In the bowl of a stand mixture fitted with a dough hook (or a large bowl), combine the flour, sugars, and salt. Pour yeast mixture and melted butter in bowl. Turn on mixer and knead for 6-8 minutes or until the dough is smooth (or use your hands and knead for the same amount of time).

Spray a large bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Remove dough from bowl and shape into a ball and place dough into sprayed bowl. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until it doubles in size, or about an hour.

Towards the end of the rising period, preheat oven to 450 degrees F and prepare baking sheets by spraying with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine hot water and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and melted butter.

After the dough has risen, punch down the dough and knead with hands for about a minute. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Pick your shape and size and form using all the dough.

Dip the pieces in the baking soda water and place on baking sheet. Brush all pretzel bites with egg whites and melted butter then sprinkle with kosher salt.


Bake for 7-8 minutes or until browned.


Serve with beer cheese or honey mustard for best dipping!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you gave this recipe a shot! And it's all about the taste, though I do like the rustic look of your pretzels. :)

    ReplyDelete