It's a couple of weeks into fall and it finally feels like it. The leaves are gorgeous, the night air is crisp, and it is finally time for comfort food! No more light and low calorie food for this girl, shhhh don't tell my trainer.
Ah meatloaf. What a horrible name for such a comfy and delicious meal. The name does not do it justice. I remember being a little girl and (not knowing any better) when my mom said we were having meatloaf for dinner I'd roll my eyes and say, "Ew gross." But when push came to shove and it was sitting there on my plate, I'd eat it. All. As I got older I paid more attention to what my mom actually put in it; it was fun to watch her combine everything and stick it in the loaf pan and wait of the yummy smell to spread throughout the house.
As usual to my methods, this meatloaf recipe calls for something a little different, Oatmeal. Okay so I know what you're thinking... "Oatmeal in my meatloaf? Are you crazy?" I have my far share of crazy moments, but putting oats in my meatloaf is not one of them. It helps keep the oatmeal moist. And as we all know, dryness is a meatloaf's kiss of death. And if you need one final reason to try this meatloaf, picky as they come Stan, loved it.
Meatloaf
(Recipe adapted from At Home with Gina C.)
1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck
1/2 lb. ground pork sausage-original recipe calls for ground pork, use whichever you feel like
1 large egg
1/4 cup ketchup
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup oats
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, set aside.
Note: This recipe calls for using a baking sheet as opposed to a loaf pan because loaf pans tend to steam the meatloaf in it's own juices compared to a baking sheet where it can roast.
Chop onion and garlic into small pieces. In a large bowl, add beef, pork sausage, egg, ketchup, Worcestershire, onion, garlic, and salt; mix well with hands. Add oats and mix again, being careful to not over mix.
As usual I didn't listen to the recipe and combines all ingredients at once.
Again, do as I say not as I do!
Dump mixture on the prepared baking sheet and form a loaf with your hands.
Place a thermometer in the middle of the loaf, being careful not to put in all the way through to the baking sheet, and set alarm for 160 degrees. Place in oven and forget about it until the alarm sounds. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
No comments:
Post a Comment