10.18.2011

Broiled Parmesan Heirloom Tomatoes



I have this friend, named Coco (pseudonym as usual). She is great. We have lots of things in common. One of them being our dislike for tomatoes. Okay, so it's more of a hatred. Whenever we went out to eat (past tense because we no longer live in the same place-sad) we would always order things with no tomatoes. Then once the server left us we'd giggle about how much me hated tomatoes. Oh the life of a "grown up."

Well Coco... I have a confession. While I was at the farmer's market I spotted the most beautiful heirloom tomatoes and instantly had to have them. WEIRD I KNOW. Even as I'm writing this I still can't believe it.

While buying tomatoes is something I've gotten accustom to, Stan loves tomatoes, the fact that I wanted these was... different. When I got home I stared at the tomatoes in confusion with what to do with them. After sitting on my counter for a whole day and a half (which killed me for some reason) I knew what I wanted to do with them. Cover them with cheese, lots of cheese. So I did.

Coco these aren't gross. They were good. If you're ever feeling up for a change, try them.

Broiled Parmesan Heirloom Tomatoes
2 large heirloom tomatoes (red or green or both)
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to broil, I set mine on high.

Slice tomatoes and lay them on a 9x13 baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, and garlic powder. Evenly sprinkle mixture over tomatoes.


Place in preheated oven. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden. Watch carefully as they can burn easily.

Serve as a side dish, salad starter, or whatever you'd like.


No comments:

Post a Comment