2.03.2012
Red Wine & Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms
A picture is worth 1000 words. And according to this picture, I made the ugliest meal ever. Right up above these words is the proof. While it may not look pretty, is sure tasted phenomenal.
I want to express my love for Jessica's Blog, How Sweet It Is. Oh my goodness do I love it. I check it everyday, sometimes a few times a day depending on what my day is like. Most days that I check it twice (or more) go something like this.
Step 1. Click the howsweeteats.com link that pops up immediately if not sooner once I type H into my web browser. Other than Facebook, Pinterest, and Blogger it's probably one of my most visited sites.
Step 2. Drool over her latest, more often than not, self-made recipes and gorgeous photos.
Step 3: Read her hilarious stories and recipe commentary.
Step 4: Close my eyes and wish I had her skills in all three areas mentioned in Step 2 and 3.
Step 5: Usually bookmark one or more recipes of hers to make in the near future.
This risotto from How Sweet It Is, is among my top ten favorite meals. It is creamy, rich, and so worth the extra 30 minutes I spent on the treadmill after eating nearly all of this in a single setting.
Another reason I've been spending more time on the treadmill... my wedding! After being engaged for almost 7 months we're finally going to start planning! I'm so excited!
First thing was first. I had to ask my five greatest friends to be my bridesmaids. I had the cutest cards made and sent out and after hearing back from them all, I can officially say that I have the best bridesmaids a bride could hope for!
Now onto picking a date, venue, and setting a budget. Slowly but surely things are going to come together.
On to the risotto... always on to the risotto.
Red Wine & Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms
(Recipe from How Sweet It Is)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 cups arborio rice
1 cup favorite red wine
3-4 cups chicken stock
6 ounces goat cheese
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
In a large skillet, heat half of the olive oil and butter over low, add mushrooms.
Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are juicy and caramelized.
As mushrooms are cooking, in a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat remaining olive oil and butter over medium heat. Once hot add garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add rice, with a wooden spoon stir to cook in butter and olive oil, allow to toast for about 4 minutes.
Add wine, stirring almost constantly until absorbed. Once absorbed, add 1 cup of stock, stirring until absorbed like the wine. Repeat 2-3 more times, until all stock has been used and absorbed. This step should take at least 15 minutes, it tool me about 20 minutes. Taste rice and determine if it is cooked to your liking, if not, add in another cup of stock and stir until absorbed.
Reduce heat to low and add salt, pepper, about 5 ounces of goat cheese and mushrooms, stir.
Serve with remaining goat cheese on top and sprinkle with fresh bail.
Yep... this may be the ugliest best tasting thing ever. Don't let these crappy pictures deter you from making this yummy risotto. Also if you're anything like me, make more mushrooms than listed in the ingredients, because you'll eat them as they're cooking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment