1.10.2012

Red Velvet Cake



I have this thing for Red Velvet Cake. I am head over heels in LOVE with it. And it loves me back. Well to be more honest it loves my backside. But nonetheless I still love it. And when you love something like I do with red velvet cake, you end up trying many many many versions. I've tired red velvet from a box. I've tried red velvet with and without buttermilk. With and without vinegar. I've had red velvet with cream cheese frosting, white buttercream, and no frosting at all.

But my friends, let me tell ya. This is the best freaking red velvet cake I've ever had. Seriously to die for. I'm drooling over it as we speak and ever contemplating making it again. Thank goodness I have no red food coloring in the house.

I know what you're thinking... you don't have red food coloring because you forgot to get it the last time you were at the store. I'm here to tell you, "FALSE!" I literally have to make a conscious effort to not have any red food coloring in my home so that I don't go crazy and make red velvet everything. Remember those red velvet brownies I made that weren't so red? That's because I only bought a small amount to ensure that I wouldn't have leftovers. Geez. What a rough life I have, huh?

Red Velvet Cake
aka Waldorf Astoria Cake
(Recipe from Pinch My Salt)

2 1/2 cups (sifted) cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 oz. red food coloring
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two 9-inch cake rounds (or three 8-inch). Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, set aside. In a small bowl, make a thin paste by mixing food coloring and cocoa powder, set aside also.

In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Then beat in vanilla and cocoa paste, making sure to scrape the side of the bowl as you go. Add 1/3 of the sifted flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat well, then add 1/2 of the buttermilk. Repeat process, ending with final third of flour mixture, beat to combine well.

At this point make sure you have the prepared cake rounds nearby. In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda, be prepared, it will fizz. Add to cake batter and stir well. Working quickly, divide cake batter evenly between cake rounds.


Place into preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes. 


Check early, as cakes can be done before time.

Cool cakes in their pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Gently remove from pans and allow to cool completely before frosting. 

Cream Cheese Frosting
2-8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt

With an electric mixer, blend together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Turn speed to low and blend slowly blend in powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla. Turn mixer up and beat until light and fluffy. Use immediately.






No comments:

Post a Comment