3.11.2012

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup


I don't know about where you are but our weather has been great lately. Sunny and 60s-70s. Can you say spring? With spring coming so quickly I have to unload my soup recipes on you guys. Have I told you how much I love soup? I love love love it! I know I already have a tomato basil soup recipe but this one is a nice alternative.

The roasted tomatoes in this soup give it some nice rustic earthy tastes. Be careful to not over salt your tomatoes prior to roasting as this soup can get salty quickly. Serve with a gooey toasty grilled cheese and enjoy the beginning of spring!

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
(Recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod)


2 1/2 lbs. Roma tomato, cut into lengthwise quarters
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
Salt & Pepper, to taste for seasoning tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
Dash of red pepper flakes
1 cup freshly chopped basil
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth (You can use chicken broth)
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with half the olive oil. Lightly season with salt and pepper and roast for 45 minutes.



In a large stockpot, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, cooking for about 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, fresh basil (I used dried basil), and vegetable (or chicken) broth. Stir in oven roasted tomatoes.


Cook for 30 minutes over medium-low heat. Spoon chunks of cooked tomatoes into a food processor or blender, blend for just a few seconds-adding more time if you want fewer chunks. Return to stockpot and season with salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment